Monday, June 5, 2017

Ethical Standards for writing Recommendation Letter: A Deputy Commissioner's refusal in 1943

I came across this letter from a Deputy Commissioner of 1943 which shows the high ethical standards of that time. The letter refuses the request for recommendation from a friend on the grounds that the DC has never met his son and does not know the son. Contrast this with today when anyone is willing to write a recommendation for anyone whether known personally or not.


From: Deputy Commissioner I/O, Kumaun Division
Dated Camp via Haldwani, Feby.21, 1943. 
My Dear Mr Shah Abdul Shakur Faridi,
Reference your letter of 14.2.43. 
I am afriad that it would be no use my recommending your grandson as I have never seen him and know nothing about him. 
Yours sincerely
Sd/
To: F. Shah Abdul Shakur Faridi, FaridManzil, Manikpur. Dist. Purtabgarh 
I found this letter while sifting and organizing the treasure of old letters that have been handed down to me by my late parents. Mr Shah Abdul Shakur Faridi is my mother's maternal grandfather. He belonged to the Hussami-Faridi silsala. He is buried in Mankipur near Farid Manzil and I am told there is an yearly urs at his tomb.

See Also: 

Posts that describe my role models and their guidance:

Personal examples of strive for excellence from my father: 
How to teach love for language and culture:
How to search for role models around you; my father, phuppa, uncle and mother:


How my grandmother (nani) and others provided a taste of our traditions and culture:
Learning interpersonal interactions and spreading happiness and laughter around:

    Strive for Excellence from my teacher

    1 comment:

    1. That is really good and informative post, love the topic you choosed to write an atricle on. Going to share it with others , hope they will like it as well. Thanks for sharing it

      ReplyDelete